What Is WorldSkills India?
WorldSkills India is an initiative of the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. NSDC, through its WorldSkills India initiative, has been leading the country's participation at WorldSkills International competitions since 2011.
The key objectives of WorldSkills India are to:
- Promulgate skills in the society and motivate the youth to pursue vocational education.
- Champion skills and learning for work through local, regional, national and international skills competition and contribute to the society.
- Invite sponsorships to organize the local, regional, national and international skills competitions and also host international competitions.
- Establish links and a long-term association with the WSI secretariat along with development of cooperation with the Government of India, state Governments, registered vocational skills training and awarding bodies.
Role of NSDC
- Establish linkages and contacts with various stakeholders of the industry to promote the association.
- Provide support and synergy for efforts of WorldSkills India through its Skills Development initiatives.
- Provide administrative and technical support to the participants and experts for the WorldSkills Competitions.
About world skill January 2014-2015
- In FY 14-15 a total of 113 rounds were held (85 regional, 27 nationals and one final round) before the winners were selected by a jury of 58 experts picked from the respective industries.
- India will compete in a total of 27 skills at the WorldSkills International Competition in Sao Paulo, Brazil in August, 2015.
- The competition took place with a three tier selection process - Regionals, Nationals and the Final For the regional competitions the participants were identified by the partnering organizations and institutes.
- Close to 1050 candidates across India participated in the competition
- 250 candidates were selected after regional competitions, 80 candidates selected after National Competitions, 21 candidates selected after Final Competition. Final competition for 8 skills will be scheduled shortly. In all 29 candidates will be selected in 27 skills after completion of all finals.
- 20 years is the average age of the participants.
- The WorldSkills competition National final selections were held at PragatiMaidan between the 26th & 28th Feb. The opening was kicked off on the 25th Feb following which approximately 70 chosen contestants from 22 different skills competed to decide the finalists who will represent India at Sao Paolo in August 2015. Out of the 22 skill competitions, 3 skills were rescheduled due to technical reasons (Brick Laying, Visual Merchandising and Welding). The closing ceremony where contestants were presented with the certificates for winners, first runner-ups & second runner-ups was presided over by Mr. S.Ramadorai (Chairman NSDC & NSDA) and Mr Pawan Agarwal (Joint Secretary, Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship) in the presence of Mr S.Mahalingam representing CII and Mr. RCM Reddy representing FICCI.
For more information, visit http://www.worldskillsindia.co.in/