Under the “Skill India Mission”, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has initiated the establishment of state of the art, visible, aspirational model training centres in every district of India. These model training centres are referred to as “Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra” (PMKK).
PMKK are equipped to run industry-driven courses of high quality with focus on employability and create an aspirational value for skill development training. PMKK envisions to transform the short-term training ecosystem from a mandate driven delivery model to a sustainable institutional model.
Investment support is provided for the establishment of PMKKs. NSDC provides the funding support in form of secured loan up to a maximum of INR 70 lakhs per PMKK.
The financial assistance is provided towards capex support (shall not be utilized/provided for creation of immovable property) which includes the following components
i. Training infrastructure including purchase of machinery & equipment
ii. Training aid and other associated items
iii. Internal renovation of the centre
Salient Features of a PMKK
- Centre Size: 3000 sq. ft. - 8000 sq. ft. built up area (depending on district population)
- Standardized external & internal branding and infrastructure requirements across all centres
- Courses based on district population catering to local youth aspirations
- Smart Classrooms, Audio-visual training aids, Biometric attendance
- Dedicated counselling, mobilization and placement cell
- Residential support as per PMKVY guidelines
- Mandatory training in the manufacturing trades, as per the PMKVY guidelines
Status Update (May 2020)
- 812 PMKKs have been allocated across 36 states/UTs; covering 707 districts and 540 Parliamentary Constituencies (PCs) of India
- Out of the 812 allocated PMKKs, 738 PMKKs are established
- Out of the 738 established PMKKs, 122 PMKKs (covering113 districts) are established in the aspirational districts, 102 PMKKs (covering 89 districts) are established in LWE districts, 22 PMKKs (covering 21 districts) are established in J&K districts and 67 PMKKs (covering 67 districts) are established in the North-Eastern districts
- PMKKs have also been established under the Corporate category, Sector-specific (aviation, agriculture and port & maritime, etc.), Special categories such as women, differently abled persons (PwD).
- Further, work is under-progress to establish the remaining 74 PMKKs covering 58 districts
For more details kindly refer to https://www.nsdcindia.org/pmkk.